April 18, 2010 Spring is slowly coming to Tianjin!

Greetings. Hope all is well in the US. Our Facebook friends keep track of just about everything
and so it almost feels archaic to keep a blog, since it may seem a bit redundant. However, I think for journalling purposes it helps me to be a little but more reflective than just providing snapshot details
here and there.

First, some have asked about support and how we are making it here. Financially, I support our family through my job at TIS. I do not earn a salary per se, but get a stipend for living expenses which is adequate for our Chinese neighborhood.  I am not permitted under law to hold any other job. The way one gets approved to come and live in China is that -in education-there must be a direct need for a company. In my case, I am here on a residential visa which I qualified for because China granted me a foreign expert certificate. The majority of students at TIS are Korean. In order to be a student at TIS they must be pretty fluent in English already. The reputation TIS has is that it is difficult to get into because the English requirement is so high. Our student classes are small and really the school is extremely tight on space. I have to move around and teach my classes in various locations in the building. That is the only real drawback here....I have been blessed in the past by always having my own classroom.

Anyway, this week there is an accreditation visit and no doubt tensions will be running high--but not mine.
I am too new. We are approaching the 4 month mark here. Vince S. flew over last weekend along with Tom from Chuck Swindoll's church. There were a few planning meetings for the English camps that will take place over the summer. This will be the fourth year for the camp and we will be extending it from one week to two weeks. Logistically, it will be better for the 1st through 5th for one week and secondary for the second week.

Aaron went to his first high school banquet last Monday night. He looked very good in his "tailor-made" suit....the first suit he has ever owned. It was made by Mr. Chen's tailor--the same one who came over to the hotel and made all of shirts last summer. Mrs. Chen went with us to create the order.
Andrew went on a planting trees field trip which looked like a photo op for all involved.

Kelsey finished up her play/musical Schoolhouse Rock. She had a great time doing it and she looked great in her orange hair. Master Andrew is taking a little bit of Karate lessons on Friday after school and plays ping pong on Tuesdays after school. Susan's major accomplishment was getting customized window seats created for the living room and bedroom. As Susan stated--the process was a lot like building a sofa...minus the frame.

I have joined the rest of the faculty who decided to form an after school soccer league which plays on Fridays until the end of the school year. Let's just say that it has taken me a full day and a half to recover.
Underused muscles and the aging process equals at least two Advils after every game. But it is generally fun.

I still have yet to buy a bike. I need to exchange some money. Aaron is going to Qingdao (CHING DOW) this week for a few days to participate in a Model UN activity. He gets dresses up and they try to pass resolutions and stuff.

Andrew, Susan and I went around the corner to the Tianjin Zoo a few weekends ago. It was a pretty big walking zoo; needs a little TLC with the animals. Overall, we enjoyed the differences. It was Andrew's first visit to a "real" zoo.


SUSAN AND ANDREW LOOK AT THE LONELY PANDA!


INSIDE THE FORBIDDEN CITY: Aaron is back at the hotel as usual!

                                                       FATHER AND DAUGHTER IN FORBIDDEN CITY






Just one more Forbidden City Picture!


REMEMBER KIDDIES --ALWAYS CHECK SPELLING

FREE ROAMING MONKEY'S --SCARY!!

Comments